Aside from the golf tournament, scholarship, and sports grant Zach has been honored in other ways since his death to memorialize his life. Below are some honors he has received along with other tributes in his name.
- Purple Heart Recipient: The Purple Heart is a United States military decoration awarded in the name of the President to those who have been wounded or killed while serving with the U.S. military.
- Medal of Valor Recipient: Received on March 21, 2010, Zach was recognized by the Hornell Elks, Lodge #0364 for his services and supreme sacrifice in Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Marina Park Veterans Wall: A brick with Lcpl. Zachary D. Smith’s name was placed in the Marina Park Veterans Wall at VFW Post 2669 in Orchard Park, NY. The brick was sponsored by Marnie Esford and the employees of Ventura’s CARSTAR Collision in Orchard Park, NY.
- Zachary D. Smith Hornell Post Office: Congress approved to change the name of the local post office to the Zachary D. Smith Hornell Post Office. The name was officially changed in the summer of 2012.
- Zachary D. Smith Gymnasium: The city of Hornell built a new YMCA facility naming the gymnasium after Zach in the fall of 2011.
- Wegmans 5K Hometown Hero Run/Walk: Employees of the Hornell Wegmans started the event in June 2011. The proceeds raised have been donated to help fund the Zachary D. Smith Memorial Scholarship.
- Nancy Grace Show: On January 30, 2013 Zach was recognized on the Nancy Grace Show under her Fallen Soldier segment.
- “SMITH”: Hornell High School graduate Gloria Gambino is attending Nazareth College in Rochester, NY wrote the play “SMITH” to celebrate the life of Zach. “SMITH” will be performed at Nazareth College March 22 to March 24, 2013 and March 29 & 30, 2013.
- “They Were Just 11”: Written by Sean Carroll of WHAM 13 News, “They Were Just 11” aired on September 11, 2011. It is an Award Winning report looking at the life and death of Zach Smith and Army Sergeant Devin Snyder of Cohocton and it was honored with Edward R. Murrow and Associated Press Awards.